Simmered Kabocha or Winter Squash with Shio Koji
- 12 oz. kabocha/winter squash
- 1 tbsp. Hikari Miso Shio Koji
- Cut the kabocha into 1-inch cubes and put into a medium saucepan
- Add just enough water to completely cover kabocha, and add Hikari Miso Shio Koji
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat to simmer. Cook the kabocha until a skewer goes through smoothly, about 4-5 minutes
- Cover with a lid and set aside to allow the flavor to slowly be absorbed. You can serve this dish cold
Product used in this recipe
20.4 oz (580g)
Shio Koji is a traditional Japanese ingredient made with a fermented rice malt (koji) and salt (shio). The enzymes contained in shio koji break down proteins to draw umami out of meat and fish. Shio Koji is in liquid form with the tiny half-dissolved grains of rice malt and packaged in a convenient plastic bottle.
Other recipes that you might like
Like New Recipes?
Follow us on Instagram to see the latest recipes as we share them!