Easy to prepare, this eggplant dish can be both an elegant and unctuous side or entrée dish. Message from Nami( Just One Cookbook®): "Here is a simple appetizer dish you can serve at a party. Sweet miso flavor goes extremely well with eggplant and this dish is done in 15 minutes with the help of M1nute Miso Organic. Other than as an appetizer, you can also serve it over steamed rice as a main vegetarian dish and it's a perfect quick weeknight meal. Enjoy!"
- 2 tbsp. M1nute Miso (liquid miso)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. mirin sweet rice wine (optional)
- ¼ tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 3 ea. Japanese eggplants or 2 Chinese eggplants
- ½ tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 ea. green onion (finely sliced)
- 3 ea. Cilantro stalks (stems discarded and leaves chopped)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat broiler with the rack about 4 inches from the heat source.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine miso, sugar, mirin, and red chili pepper flakes and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove the ends of the eggplants. Slice them in half lengthwise from the stem to bottom creating boat-like halves. If you use Chinese eggplants, cut each boat-like half crosswise for a good size.
- With the tip of a knife score the flesh, about 1/4 inch deep 3-4 times across the eggplants.
- Place the eggplants flesh side down and broil until the outer skin browns and softens, about 5 minutes. Turn the eggplants flesh side up and brush on the mixture from step 3.
- Broil the eggplant again until glaze starts to brown and sizzle, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onion, and cilantro. Serve immediately.