Shio Koji Rice Omelette
- 5.3 oz (150g) Chicken thigh
- 3.5 oz (100g) Onion
- 6 Cherry tomatoes
- 7oz (200g) Warm rice
- 1/2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 0.35 oz x 2 (10g x 2) Salted butter
- Desired amount of Tomato ketchup
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Shio koji
- 1 tbsp Shio koji
- A pinch of Black pepper
- Dice the chicken thigh into 0.8 inch (2cm) cubes. Chop the onions and cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Combine eggs, milk and Shio Koji from ingredients 【A】.
- Heat the oil over middle heat on a pan and fry chicken thigh and onion until they soften.
- Add and break apart rice. When the oil coat rice, add tomatoes and Shio Koji and black pepper from ingredients 【B】 . Fry until they are evenly mixed. Transfer into a bowl.
- Heat the same pan over medium heat and add 0.35oz (10g) salted butter. When it is melted,add the half amount of 【A】 from instruction 2 and quickly whisk around the pan. When the egg mixture is set but still runny, swirl it around in the pan.
- Remove the pan from heat and add half of fried rice from instruction 4 in the middle to shape like a football. Wrap the fried rice both sides with egg omelette.
- Tilt the pan and slide the eggs into the edge of the pan to shape them.
- Placea big plate on the pan and flip the pan to transfer the rice omelette on the plate.
- Repeat the steps to make the second rice omelette.
- To serve, pour the tomato ketchup over the omelette to taste.Tip: The time to cook the eggs is in a moment, so prepare the ingredients nearby.
Product used in this recipe
20.4 oz (580g)
Shio Koji is a traditional Japanese ingredient made with a fermented rice malt (koji) and salt (shio). The enzymes contained in shio koji break down proteins to draw umami out of meat and fish. Shio Koji is in liquid form with the tiny half-dissolved grains of rice malt and packaged in a convenient plastic bottle.
Other recipes that you might like
Like New Recipes?
Follow us on Instagram to see the latest recipes as we share them!