Mushroom and Taro Miso Soup
This Mushroom & Taro Miso soup matches well the texture of mushrooms, with taro root, which absorbs the flavor of miso in this autumnal favorite. Try this combination in the fall when the ingredients are in season. If finding or preparing taro root is difficult, potatoes will work just as well.
- 3.5 oz (100g) shimeji muchrooms
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms or mushrooms of your choice cut into bite size pieces
- 4 taro roots satoimo halved or small potatoes
- 3 oz. (90g) chicken thigh meat
- 7 tbsp. miso
- 3 cups (720ml) dashi soup stock (or broth) *
- Chives or other seasonal aromatic garnish
- Peel the taro roots and cut them in half. Cut away the hard bottoms of the shimeji and mushrooms of your choice, and separate or slice them into bite-sized pieces. Cut the chicken into pieces about the same size as the mushrooms
- Place the taro roots, chicken and dashi into a pot and bring to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, skim the surface to remove any impurities. Continue cooking until the taro roots are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and quickly boil
- Dissolve the miso into the pot and turn off the heat just before the soup comes back to a boil. Ladle the soup into a bowl and sprinkle with minced chives.