Miso-Rubbed Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables
There’s nothing more comforting (and easy) than whole roast chicken. This recipe provides extra unctuous umami flavor with a miso-based rub.
- 1 whole roast chicken (21/2 to 3 lb. in size)
- 2 whole yellow or white onions (cut into 1-in. wedges)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- To taste 2-in. pieces of carrot (parsnip, potatoes and/or baby fennel bulbs, cut in half)
- To taste salt and black pepper
For Miso Rub
- ¼ cup miso (red or brown preferred)
- ¼ cup sesame or olive oil
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 ea. fresh garlic cloves (minced)
- Rub entire chicken with oil and lightly season with black pepper. Add half of the chopped onions into the cavity of the chicken. Place chicken into roasting pan and pour chicken stock into pan. Place chicken in 450 degree oven and roast at high heat for 20 minutes. Remove after 20 minutes and drop oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients for rub and blend well. Massage rub into all of the chicken.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan; circle the chicken with onions. Roast for one hour or until skin is extra crispy and juices run clear at the leg joint when skin and meat are pierced.
- (Optional) add pieces of carrot, parsnips, baby fennel bulbs (cut in half), and/or potatoes, tossed in oil and seasoned with pepper, around the chicken with the onion.