Hearty Vegetable Miso Soup
- 2 tbsp. peanut, canola or olive oil
- 4 cups water (for our purposes 1 cup is equal to 240 ml)
- 4 tbsp. miso paste
- 1 onion
- 5-6 mushrooms of your choice (cleaned)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and cut into eighths)
- 1-2 carrots (peeled)
- To taste chopped leeks or green onions or experiment with your favorite vegetables
Cut vegetables into a bite-size, no larger than 3/-4-in.
In a soup stock pot in heated oil sauté’ onions until they become translucent; then add the other vegetables and sauté’ 3 more minutes.
Add water and boil until all the vegetables are soft; reduce heat to simmer and add miso paste.
Bring to a simmer and garnish with chopped leeks or sliced green onions.
Quick Tip: Once you add the miso, don't boil the soup again. Miso is a living, fermented food and it is best to keep it from ever being cooked at boiling temperatures (212 degrees Fahrenheit and 100 degrees Celsius).